News and Notes: Asparagus Cup 125 for the SPEARS Pro Late Model Seriesadmin
What: The “Asparagus Cup 125” is the second event of the SPEARS Pro Late Model Series presented by Sigma Performance Services.
Where: Stockton 99 Speedway will host the second round of this year’s inaugural season. The historic venue will host the SPEARS Pro Late Models four times in 2021, in the 11-race schedule. Stockton 99 Speedway was completed in 1947, making it by far the longest running facility that the series competes at.
When: The series second event will take place this weekend, March 13, 2021.
Huge Field: Currently 35 Pro Late Models are entered in this weekend’s event. 16 of those competitors also attended the season opening “Sunrise Ford All-Star Showdown 150” at Irwindale Speedway. 19 competitors are scheduled to make their first career start in the series. 37 Pro Late Models appeared at the opener.
Unique Format: For the first time in SRL history, single car qualifying will not be held. The “Asparagus 125” line-up will be set off Heat Races, and a Last Chance Qualifying race. Five 20-lap Heat Races will be used to set the first 20 positions in the Feature Event. The line-up for the “Heats” was determined by the order in which a team’s entry was received. The top four finishers in each heat will advance to the “Asparagus Cup 125”. The Last Chance Qualifier will set the last four positions in the field.
Big Money: The “Asparagus Cup 125” will pay $7,500 to the winner of the Feature Event. The first car not to transfer out of the Last Chance Qualifier will receive $1,000 for their efforts.
Bonus Money: Thanks to Mike Doss with JD Motorsports, the highest finishing “Stockton Late Model” will receive an additional $500. Thank you, Mike Doss, for the support of the local Stockton Late Model drivers!
Championship Standings: Jeremy Doss leads the early standings for the inaugural season of the series. After one event, Doss leads Austin Barnes, Tyler Reif, Bubba Nascimento, and Dylan Zampa. Only Barnes is not entered in this weekend’s event. Mike Lovell, Cole Williams, Jaden Walbridge, Kyle Meyer and Parker Malone make up the second five.
Young Guns: The SPEARS Pro Late Model Series and Sigma Performance Services will provide a unique and exciting program to shine the national spotlight on drivers aged 20 and younger in the SPEARS (SRL) Pro Late Model Series. The ‘Sigma Performance Services Young Gun’s Championship’ will be a championship within the 2021 SPEARS Pro Late Model Series, where the top driver age 20 and under (age as of January 1, 2021) in the final championship standings will be awarded the opportunity to drive a Sigma Performance Services prepared Super Late Model in a SPEARS Southwest Tour Series event at Irwindale Speedway (spring/summer 2022).
Young Gun Standings: Tyler Reif leads the early standings for the “Young Guns” Championship after finishing fourth at the season opening “All-Star Showdown 150” from Irwindale Speedway. Reif is followed by Bubba Nascimento, Dylan Zampa, Jaden Walbridge, Logan Zampa, Cody Kiemele, Tanner Reif, Seth Wise, Cole Brown and Jake Bollman. Eight of those competitors are entered this weekend.
Fans Are Back!: Fans will be allowed to attend this weekend’s event. Admission Gates will open at 3:00 pm (PST) with racing beginning at 4:00 pm. Check the Stockton 99 Speedway Facebook page for admission requirements (https://www.facebook.com/TheNewStockton99.)
Broadcasts: For those unable to attend, the event will be aired LIVE at www.SpearsRacing.TV and on a delayed basis on MAVTV, the Motorsports Network.
- 1HTyler Herzog, Clovis, CA – Crown Homes, Herzog Roofing
- 1WMatthew Wendt, Lodi, CA – Cali Style Customs, Wendt Construction
- 2BHans Beeler, Salida, CA – Beeler Industries, David’s Racing Products
- 2PGreg Potts, Stockton, CA – Nascimento Motorsports, Economy Signs
- 04Cole Brown, Ukiah, CA – Farmers Insurance – Hull Agency, Product Lines
- 4DDaniel DeVore, Stockton, CA – Chuck Carmen, King Island Resort Bar & Grill
- 4KBarry Karr, Calimesa, CA – Electrical News, JoJo’s Grill a Dog
- 6BMike Beeler, Salida, CA – Beeler Industries, David’s Racing Products
- 6SJoJo Stearns, Stockton, CA – Chuck’s Hamburgers, Regalo Bello
- 7Tyler Reif, Henderson, NV – Vegas Fasteners, Power Gen Components
- 8Jason Romero, Cameron Park, CA – Folsom Lake Asphalt, Civil Eng. Const.
- 12Colby Potts, Stockton, CA – Nascimento Motorsports, Economy Signs
- 15Mike Lovell, Willits, CA – Earnest Performance, S&S Sports Enterprises
- 21NEric Nascimento, Jr., Lathrop, CA – SkipCo Welding & Ind. Supplies, David’s Racing Products
- 21EEthan Nascimento, Lathrop, CA – SkipCo Welding & Ind. Supplies, David’s Racing Products
- 22Sam Solari, Escalon, CA – L5 Farming, Meredith Farms
- 27John Moore, Granite Bay, CA – JM Environmental, Inc.
- 28GHenk Gaalswyk Jr., Modesto, CA – Turlock Feed & Livestock Supply, Heads by Steve
- 34Kevin Furden, Stevenson Ranch, CA – RPS Motorsports, Savvy Chassis
- 36Parker Malone
- 43Tanner Reif, Henderson, NV – Power Gen Components, Vegas Fasteners
- 50Justin Philpott, Tracy, CA – Philpott Marine Boat & Trailer
- 51Carlos Vieira, Atwater, CA – 51FIFTY, Allied Packaging
- 52Ryan Philpott, Livermoore, CA – Hacienda Pools, We are Hemp
- 61Robby Hornsby, Yucaipa, CA – Tri City Towing
- 71Jake Bollman, Huntington Beach, CA – Pacific Coast Propane, PB Plumbing
- 75Jeremy Doss, Upperlake, CA – Earnest Performance, S&S Sports Enterprises
- 86Tim Spurgeon, Salida, CA – Kleen Blast
- 88Jason Gilbert, Danville, CA – Gilbert Motorsports, David’s Racing Products
- 90Ross Strmiska, Stockton, CA – Nut Up, Masellis Drilling, Mainline Equipment
- 92ZDylan Zampa, Napa, CA – Anderson Logging, Allied Propane
- 92Logan Zampa, Napa, CA – Halm Metal Fab, Huckfeldt Well Drilling
- 98Blaine Rocha, Oakdale, CA – MASROC Farms, Massellis Drilling