TWO RACES LEFT IN 2014 SPEARS SOUTHWEST TOUR CHAMPIONSHIPadmin
Bakersfield, CA – With just two races remaining in the 2014 SPEARS Southwest Tour Series championship season, the title looks to be down to two drivers entering the upcoming November 1st race at Kern County Raceway Park.
For most of the 2014 season, Upper Lake’s Jeremy Doss lead the championship standings, before Bakersfield’s Derek Thorn moved ahead by just 22 points after his win at Pikes Peak International Raceway on September 28th.
Doss has two wins on the year, has completed every lap so far and has not finished outside the top five all season. Thorn has four wins on the year, has completed every lap with just two finishes outside the top five.
Entering the “Fall Shootout 100 presented by World’s Champion Hand Cleaner” on November 1st, Doss may look to have the advantage, as he held off Thorn for the win on April 5th at Kern County Raceway Park.
“We’ve ran good each time we’ve been to Kern,” stated Doss, the 2013 SPEARS Southwest Tour Series Rookie-of-the-Year. “We won the SRL race in April and a Pro Late Model race there this summer. It’s a fun, fast race track.”
Thorn, the all-time winningest driver in the SPEARS Southwest Tour Series has yet to win at the new Bakersfield half-mile, but that may work as a motivator for Thorn and his team.
“We’re motivated to win every race we enter,” stated Thorn. “Mike Keen and all the guys at Campbell Motorsports give it one hundred percent preparing the car every time we go to the track. We’re hungry to get our first series win at Kern, and try to build a cushion for the championship.”
The CITCO Late Models, the SRL S2 Series, Legends, and Mini Dwarf Cars will join the SPEARS Southwest Tour Series on November 1st at Kern County Raceway Park.
OTHER NOTES LEADING UP TO KERN:
- Three-time SPEARS Southwest Tour Series champion, Jim Pettit II will be back in action on November 1st at Kern County Raceway Park, after missing most of the 2014 season. Pettit won the inaugural SPEARS Southwest Tour Series event at Kern in 2013.
- Former Bakersfield resident and Southwest Tour Series champion, Craig Raudman will be behind of the wheel of the Dave Reed Racing #14 on November 1.
- Colorado driver’s Kevin Clark, Anthony Giannone and Nick Williams will all be making the long haul from Colorado for the November 1st event at K C R P.
- Three drivers, J.R. Courage, Dan O’Donnell, and Lance Wilson will make their first start in SPEARS Southwest Tour Series on November 1st.
- Two drivers returning to the series for the first time in 2014 are Kevin Callahan, the 2009 series Rookie-of-the-Year and Eric Schmidt, the 2006 SPEARS Southwest Tour Series champion.
- The 100 lap “Fall Shootout 100 presented by World’s Champion Hand Cleaner” will be a prelude to next February’s $125,000 Winter Showdown for Tour cars and Super Late Models at K C R P.
- One lap Kern County Raceway Park – SPEARS Southwest Tour Series qualifying record is held by Thorn at 17.52 seconds, set on April 5th of this year.
- The November 1st race will pay $10,003 to the winner, in honor of the late Pat Pettit, as this will be the final race of the 2014 Pat Pettit Memorial Triple Crown.
- Championship Points Distribution: Win – 180 points, 2nd – 170, 3rd – 165, 4th – 160, 5th – 155, 6th – 150, 7th – 146, 8th – 142, 9th – 138, 10th – 134, 11th – 130, 12th on – (-3 per position).