News and Notes for Rocky Mountain Racewaysadmin
SPEARS Southwest Tour Series
“Century Motorsports and Marine 125” – Monday, May 26th, 2014
Rocky Mountain Raceways, West Valley, Utah
New and Notes:
FOURTH TIME: This Memorial Day Monday, the SPEARS Southwest Tour Series will make its fourth appearance at Rocky Mountain Raceways, just outside Salt Lake City, Utah for the “Century Motorsports and Marine 125”. In the previous three races at the 3/8-mile oval, Derek Thorn has won twice (2012 & 13) with Jacob Gomes winning the inaugural event in 2011.
MILITARY APPRECIATION: Monday’s SPEARS Southwest Tour Series “Century Motorsports and Marine 125” is part of “Military Appreciation Night” at Rocky Mountain Raceways, all current and former military receive free spectator admission; accompanying family members receive half-price spectator admission.
YOUNG CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERS: Just five points separate the two seventeen-year-old drivers, Jeremy Doss (510) and Brandon White (505), who currently hold the top two positions in the 2014 SPEARS Southwest Tour Series championship standings. Doss and White each have one win on the year, and have yet to finish outside the top four in 2014. Thorn is third in the standings with 477 with one win, Ross Strmiska is fourth with 431 points and Carlos Vieira is fifth at 429.
POWER BONUS: Edelbrock will once present the $1,000 ‘Edelbrock Power Bonus’ to this weekend’s winner.
ROCKWELL TIME: Rockwell Watches will present a commemorative engraved Commander Series watch to the winner of Monday’s “Century Motorsports and Marine 125”.
RECORD TIME: Defending race winner, Derek Thorn is the current one-lap track record holder at the 3/8 mile Rocky Mountain Raceways oval, with a time of 14.625, set on July, 23rd, 2011.
5 FOR FOUR: Five drivers will have made all four annual trips to the Salt Lake region for each of the SPEARS Southwest Tour Series events since 2011, including this weekend’s “Century Motorsports and Marine 125”; Jacob Gomes, Carlos Vieira, Scott Sanchez, Ross Strmiska and Derek Thorn.
SERIES DEBUT: Ryan Cansdale and Blaine Rocha will be making their SPEARS Southwest Tour Series driving debuts this weekend. Cansdale from Laguna Beach, California, the 2013 ‘SRL S2 Tour Series’ Champion, will be driving the BP Racing #01. Rocha from Oakdale, California will be driving the Strmiska Racing #98.
FIVE STATES: Five states will be represented in Monday’s “Century Motorsports and Marine 125”, drivers representing Arizona, California, Nevada, Utah and Washington are entered in Monday’s event.
SPEARS Southwest Tour Series
Tentative Roster for Rocky Mountain Raceways as of May 21, 2014
- 01 Ryan Cansdale, Laguna Beach, CA – BP Racing*
- 16 Jacob Gomes, Manteca, CA – Sunnyvalley Smoked Meats, Inc., Dennis Arbini
- 17 Jonathan Mawhinney, Las Vegas, NV – Delta Gunite and Shotcrete
- 19 Brandon White, Eureka, CA – Northcoast Lighting & Electric, Inc.
- 20 Tracy Bolin, Valley Springs, CA – Bolin Builders, David’s Racing Products
- 21 Garret Archer, Black Diamond, WA – NTS Motorsports*
- 24 Scott Sanchez, Livermore, CA – Rosedale Collision Center, MAVTV
- 29 Greg Voigt, Goleta, CA – NTS Motorsports
- 37 Keith Spangler, Chatsworth, CA – Spangler Racing
- 38 TBA
- 43 Derek Thorn, Bakersfield, CA – Four Star Fruit, Campbell Motorsports
- 44 Bob Lyon, Agua Dulce, CA – Alliance Rental Solutions, Norris Racing Products
- 51 Carlos Vieira, Livingston, CA – 51 FIFTY Energy Drink, Allied Packaging Corp.
- 52 Cole Loftsgard, Lake Havasu, AZ – JL Carpenter and Associates*
- 54 Donny St. Ours, Upland, CA – Sigma Engineering Solutions, LVI Services
- 66 Jeff Bischofberger, Tracy, CA – BP Racing*
- 73 Joe Miller, Tooele, UT – Beehive Bail Bonds
- 75 Jeremy Doss, Upper Lake, CA – I 5 Tire Factory, Pathfinder Chassis
- 90 Ross Strmiska, Manteca, CA – Mainline Equipment, Jack Tone Vineyards
- 98 Blaine Rocha, Oakdale, CA – MASROC Farms, Rocha’s Valley Enterprises*
* SPEARS Southwest Tour Series Rookie